TEDC Presents Workforce Excellence Awards at 2018 Mid-Year Conference
Thursday, August 09, 2018
Release by Texas Economic Development Council
For more information contact:
Mr. Carlton Schwab
Texas Economic Development Council
The Texas Economic Development Council (TEDC) has announced the recipients of its annual Workforce Excellence Awards for 2018. The awards will be presented at a special awards breakfast held Thursday, June 14, 2018, at the TEDC’s Mid-Year Conference in Galveston, Texas. The two and one half-day conference was held June 13-15, 2018 at the Moody Gardens Hotel.
The Workforce Excellence Award program recognizes exceptional contributions by a Texas community or region that has implemented successful workforce initiatives. The TEDC’s Workforce Development Committee committee reviewed applications from nineteen (19) communities and organizations. Nominees were then judged on five criteria: innovativeness, transferability, community commitment and leverage, measured objectives, and secondary benefits.
Communities nominated included:
- Population Less than 15,000 – Athens EDC, City of Azle, Borger EDC and Bowie EDC. Population 15,001 to 40,000 – City of Corsicana and the City of Donna.
- Population 40,001 to 100,000 – Allen EDC and the City of Burleson/Burleson EDC.
- Population 100,001 to 250,000 – Development Corporation of Abilene and the Research Valley Partnership.
- Population 250,001 and Above – Economic Alliance Houston Port Region, Katy EDC/Katy ISD, Lubbock EDA and Project Quest.
- Regional – New Braunfels and Seguin EDC, Workforce Solutions Brazos Valley, Workforce Solutions Central Texas, Workforce Solutions Borderplex and Workforce Solutions Greater Dallas.
The 2018 Workforce Excellence Award recipients are:
- Population (up to 15,000): Bowie Economic Development Corporation
- Population (15,001 to 40,000): City of Corsicana
- Population (40,001 to 100,000): City of Burleson/Burleson EDC
- Population (100,000 to 250,000): Research Valley Partnership
- Population (250,001 and Above): Lubbock Economic Development Alliance
- Regional Category: Workforce Solutions Central Texas
“Our TEDC’s Workforce Excellence Award is one of the ways in which our organization honors the outstanding work done by our communities and regions, their leaders, and their economic development professionals in the area of workforce development,” noted Carlton Schwab, President/CEO of the TEDC.”
The TEDC was organized in 1961 and provides information, education and legislative services to its members to foster the expansion of existing businesses, the location of new firms and the development of strategies that promote a positive business climate in Texas. With over 850 members, the TEDC is now the largest state economic development association in the nation.