Job Posting: Katy Area EDC hiring President/CEO
8 Oct 2021
Job Posting: Katy Area Economic Development Council - President/CEO
REGION AND ORGANIZATION
The Katy Area Economic Development Council provides economic development services to the Katy and Cypress area which is more commonly known at the Katy Independent School District and Cy-Fair Independent School District which in nearly 400 square miles. The area is located 30 miles west and northwest of downtown Houston, is known for the world-famous Energy Corridor, and is one of the fastest growing regions in Houston and state of Texas with a population nearing 1,000,000 people. Target industries include energy services, data centers, research and development, headquarters, and engineering offices. The focus of the EDC is on light industrial and office property sectors.
Katy Area EDC is a 501 (C) 6 public-private partnership and has helped create over 20,000 jobs and $3 billion in capital investment since it started in 2003. The organization has won numerous state and international awards in economic development.
The President/CEO is responsible for the effective and efficient execution of the strategic and yearly work plans approved by the Board of Governors. The President/CEO creates and leads a platform for public private collaboration on multi-year regional economic development strategy, economic development goals & objectives, implements programs, convenes key regional stakeholders, and externally and internally markets the Katy and Cypress areas.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• LEADERSHIP: Direct and supervise EDC staff in all aspects of the established vision, mission and implementation of the strategic plan and annual work plans. Manage the operations of the office to ensure an effective and efficient team that provides a cohesive and well-coordinated economic development effort. Lead collaborative efforts to promote economic development through creative linkages, organizations and coordinated services and resources.
• PLANNING: Lead the strategic planning effort to create and implement a multi-year economic development strategy with input and support from local government partners, members, and other allies. Establish work plan objectives, tactics and activities and set priorities and deadlines to implement the strategic plan and supporting programs.
• COLLABORATION: Work with local economic development offices, local governments, businesses, allies, chambers of commerce and other groups to build regional coalitions to support the implementation of the strategic plan and establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Greater Houston Partnership, Governor’s Office and other regional and state level economic development organizations and professionals.
• ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Implement the business attraction, business retention and expansion, marketing, and communication strategies for the region. Manage light industrial and office recruitment and expansion and retention projects.
• MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS: Market the region to attract new businesses, support existing businesses, and to clearly communicate Katy Area EDC initiatives.
• COMMUNICATIONS: Timely and professional interaction with many members, industries, the public, government and quasi-government services and local colleges and universities. Develop and maintain relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and prospective businesses.
• ORGANIZATIONAL MANAGEMENT: Responsible for the efficient operations of Katy Area EDC. This includes preparation of all reports as required by governmental agencies; develop and maintain systems to track the progress of the organization; and hire, train and supervise all employees. With Katy Area EDC staff, schedule and arrange all Board, Membership and Committee meetings, record and maintain minutes, prepare agendas, and facilitate special presentations.
• FINANCE: Employ sound fiscal management policies and practices; provide updates to the Board of Governors on financial position; prepare the annual budget with the board, present proposals and make recommendations for Board consideration and continuously monitor all expenses and disbursements comparing to annually budgeted amounts.
• MEMBERSHIP: Meet regularly with members across the region to understand opportunities and challenges, for Katy Area EDC to better serve its members. Identify, recruit, and retain members and sponsors for the organization. Work closely with the Board and members to assure their continued realization of benefit from Katy Area EDC to the region. Promote the mission of Katy Area EDC in key venues throughout the region to encourage awareness of economic development and Katy Area EDC programs and initiatives.
The President/CEO is required to have at least 10 years' experience in economic development at the CEO or Executive Director level. Experience required includes progressively responsible managerial and leadership experience in a management capacity with a comparable and progressive local government or regional economic development organization. Bachelor's degree required. Fields of study for bachelor’s degrees include economic development, business, planning, public administration, economics, or marketing. Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) required. Master's degree preferred, in the field of economic development or the above bachelor’s degrees noted.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range $120,000 - $160,000, DOQ. Benefits package included health insurance, retirement plan, auto allowance, vacation, sick leave, holidays and cell phone allowance.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter and resume to search committee at email@example.com. All submissions will be held as confidential.